Royal Rumble was on that night and wanted to treat the hubby with some chili. Was going to make a slow cooker version and found two that looked good Laura’s Quick Slow Cooker Turkey Chili on AllRecipes.com and Spicy Slow Cooker Beef Chili on Chow.com. All set to go and I can’t find the slow cooker. We’d moved it down to the basement because of limited counter space and all my gadgets. Found Turkey Chili on Foodnetwork.com and liked that too.
Using all 3 recipes and adding things I like, I’ve made my version and it’s fast, easy & delicious!
Next day I topped my salad with 1/2 cup chili, green onions, cheese, and tortilla chips for a taco salad…lower calorie lunch!
- 1 Red pepper, chopped (or whatever you have on hand or on sale)
- 3 onions, chopped
- 8 cloves of garlic (i forgot how many, but it was a lot, maybe even 10)
- 1 lb ground chicken (sent hubby to store for ingredients, he brought home this. still tasty)
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cans kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- a bit of sugar (i didn’t measure, just added a little. maybe 1/2 tsp)
- 1 can corn
- In a large skillet, saute onions, garlic and bell peppers in olive oil over medium heat until onions are translucent. Add ground turkey and cook until browned.
- Add spices, stir to coat the vegetables, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes, beans, sugar and stir well to combine. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally
- slices green onions
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- tortilla chips/scoops
- chopped red onions
I’d like to add more vegetables next time. Carrots and celery maybe? figured that with the onions and peppers they would just enhance the flavour. Think I might add some paprika and chickpeas or some other beans too.